BMA Biotech has developed two new types of soil remediation products for use in remediating O&G contamination. The newly developed oil spill remediation products have been engineered to accelerate the biodegradation times and removal of alkanes, BTEX, DRO, phenol, polynuclear aromatics/polyaromatics, sulfides, alcohols, aliphatic hydrocarbons, TPH, complex HC, hard COD, other solvents and hydrocarbon type contamination. Our novel products combine advanced chemistry to produce highly-efficient and cost-effective soil remediation products.
Oil Spill Remediation
Soil contamination caused by Oil and Gas exploration and production activities (O&G contamination) pose a serious risk to the health and safety of humans and animals, as well as having a damaging impact on the environment. When O&G contamination occurs, it is vital that the level of O&G contamination is reduced to normal background levels (typically 1% of total soil weight), within a few months to prevent secondary contamination of ground and surface water sources. However, the vast majority of conventional chemical and microbial remediation products currently used for O&G contamination remediation has changed little in the past 20 or so years, or are simply ineffective in the mobilization, removal, orremediationn of O&G contamination.
BMA Biotech has developed two new products for O&G remediation, which have been engineered to rapidly degrade or remove alkanes, BTEX, DRO, phenol, polynuclear aromatics/polyaromatics, sulfides, alcohols, aliphatic hydrocarbons, TPH, complex HC, hard COD, other solvents and hydrocarbon type contamination from soil.
BMA 400™ – In-Situ and Ex-Situ Soil Remediation
BMA 400™ has been specially formulated with a select consortium of microbial cultures and fungi to aid in the rapid biodegradation of O&G contamination. The unique and highly effective microbes and fungi in BMA 400™have been selected due to their excellent ability to rapidly degrade alkanes, BTEX, DRO, phenol, polynuclear aromatics/polyaromatics, sulfides, alcohols, aliphatic hydrocarbons, TPH, complex HC, hard COD, and other solvent and hydrocarbon type contamination.
O&G contamination is easily degraded by the microbes and turned into non-hazardous by-products – such as water and carbon dioxide. In repeated filed applications, O&G contamination levels have been significantly reduced within the first few days of treatment. However, unlike conventional products, BMA 400™ is able to rapidly degrade even complex long-chain hydrocarbons. BMA 400™ has been developed for both in-situ and ex-situ remediation treatment methods.
To further enhance BMA 400™, the microbes contained within the product are all within Hazard/Risk Group One (H/RG1) – These agents represent no or little risk to an individual and no or little risk to the community.
Key Features and Advantages of BMA 400™
- Effective in salinity ranging from 1-10%.
- Performs in temperatures ranging from 39°F – 102°F (4°C to 35°C).
- Can degrade a wide range of alkyl, aromatic and substituted hydrocarbons.
- Utilizes a wide variety of alkanes, a type of hydrocarbon in its metabolic process as its source of energy to break down oil into harmless compounds.
- The microbial cultures in BMA 400™ produce a bio-surfactant, to allow for more rapid biodegradation of O&G contamination.
- Effective for environmental remediation containing large amounts of aromatics in land remediation projects (eg TPH >50,000 mg/kg).
- Provides higher microbial growth compared to conventional microbial remediation products.
- Provides the ability to degrade a wide spectrum of recalcitrant industrial chemicals.
Click here to read our BMA 400 product Case Study.
Soil Wash Solution (SWS): Ex-Situ Soil Remediation
BMA Soil Wash Solution (SWS) is a newly developed water dilutable thermodynamically stable micro-emulsion formulation, which contains natural extracts combined with a pseudo-solvent. SWS has been specifically engineered for use in ex-situ soil washing. The highly effective formulation has been designed to work in a two-phase approach. Phase One: The pseudo-solvent penetrates through the O&G contamination and separates it from the soil/sand/clay particles. Phase Two: After the mobilization of O&G contamination from the soil/sand/clay particles, the micro-emulsion formulation encapsulates the O&G contamination to prevent it from re-binding with the substrate particles. This ensures that once the O&G contamination has been mobilized, it is unable to redeposit elsewhere on the soil/sand/clay particles.
The dilution level of SWS to water is dependent on the level of O&G contamination. However, SWS is highly effective in concentrates ranging from 0.5% up to 10%. Due to SWS being formulated from natural extracts risks to health, safety, and the environment are considerably reduced – due to the fact that SWS is non-toxic, non-flammable, and does not contain Volatile Organic Compounds (SWS). To further enhance the capabilities of SWS and ensure that SWS is cost-effective, SWS can be easily separated from O&G contamination media (through mechanical or natural separation methods). Once separation has occurred, SWS can be re-used for further mobilization of O&G contamination – up to four times (only applies for concentrates ranging from 5% to 10%). In most cases, the recovered O&G contamination can be re-sold as recycled oil/petrochemicals (excluding O&G waste).SWS is 100% biodegradable within 75-days and has over a 4-year shelf life in 100% concentrates in unopened containers.
Key Features and Advantages of SWS
- Effective in high salinity water.
- Performs in temperatures ranging from -4°F to +140°F (-20°C – +60°C)
- Highly effective in concentrates ranging from 0.5% up to no more than 10%.
- Non-flammable and non-toxic.
- 100% biodegradable within 75-days.
- Encapsulates O&G contamination, to prevent re-binding of contaminates with soil/sand/clay particles.
- Able to be deployed via automated wash systems, pressure washers, injection, and many other methods.
- Once separated from O&G contamination (in concentrates ranging from 5% to 10%), SWS can be re-used for further soil washing up to four times.